It's finally here! The winter blues are gone, the sun is out, and you're finally ready to take that trip you've been planning for since the year started. Whether you're flying to your dream destination or hopping in the car for a cross-country road trip, making sure you have the proper insurance along the way can help you keep your summer travel dreams from melting away.
- Check the details of your current auto insurance policy. Some auto insurance providers will extend your coverage to rental cars, reducing the need for additional rental car insurance.
- Do you have a credit card? Certain credit cards, such as Chase, American Express, and Capital One, offer rental car insurance as a cardholder benefit. Be sure to review the terms and conditions of your credit card to determine if you're eligible for this coverage.
- A personal umbrella policy may offer you coverage, too. It may provide excess liability coverage that extends to rental cars. Verify the details of your policy to ensure you're adequately protected.
Additional Summer Travel Tips
While making sure you are insurance-ready for your trip is important, you can ensure you are well-protected while you travel with some additional tasks, such as:
- Make copies of your important documents before you travel. Misplacing a passport or photo ID can cause a hiccup in your travel plans. Having a copy of your important documents can help you navigate the situation if it occurs.
- Research your destination before you start your journey. Particularly if you're exploring a new country, it's important to understand the culture and customs prior to your trip. While this will help keep you safe, it will also ensure you're getting the most out of your experience!
- If you're heading out for a long road trip, have your car serviced before you leave. Making sure your vehicle is safe will make your trip even more enjoyable.
- Contact your bank or credit card company before you head out of town letting them know your travel dates, destinations, and route. This will ensure you're able to use your cards throughout your trip without any fear of your charges being denied or your cards being frozen due to suspicious activity.
- And last but not least, our exciting and much-anticipated trips and vacations can throw us off our routine. Be sure to factor in some rest and relaxation while you're exploring, pack all necessary medications and supplements, and stay hydrated to fight the summer heat!