Home » Mulling Insurance Blog » Finding your Perfect Policy: Auto Insurance and Florida's Requirements

Finding your Perfect Policy: Auto Insurance and Florida's Requirements

You did it. After hours of research, traveling to dealerships, and test-driving all the latest models, you found your new car. The paint is glistening, the interior has that new car smell, and the leather seats are even more comfortable than your couch at home. As you drive off the lot, you begin to think: how do I protect my new asset? What happens if I get into an accident? How do I insure my car for what it's worth?

While your Mulling team member can help you find the right car insurance policy, understanding the different types of car insurance can make the process easier and get you on the road sooner. In this blog, we break down the common types of auto insurance and the state of Florida's requirements for each.

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage provides financial protection for the responsible driver in an accident. This coverage consists of bodily injury liability and property damage liability which covers any medical costs and property damages that occur during an accident. 

While that seems simple enough, you also need to understand liability limits. Selecting the right limit can ensure you’re fully covered and do not have to pay for additional expenses out of pocket. Liability limits are divided into three categories: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident, and property damage per accident. You will typically see these coverage numbers when looking at an auto policy listed out in a row and divided by forward slashes. For example, if the insurance policy you’re reviewing lists 50/75/50, that means you would be protected from $50,000 in bodily injury per person, $75,000 in bodily injury per accident, and $50,000 in property damage. You may also see that some insurance providers provide a combined single limit (CSL) for their policies, giving you a single amount for coverage per accident, rather than having a set amount for each specific category.

You’ll want to get comfortable shopping for liability coverage since it is mandatory in all states, except New Hampshire.


While liability insurance covers expenses for other drivers, collision insurance covers your property damage in an accident. Whether the accident is with another vehicle or if you hit an object such as a tree or a guardrail, collision insurance will help you get back on the road again.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Medical Payment (MedPay) Coverage

Similarly, personal injury protection (PIP) and medical payment (MedPay) coverage help you and your passengers from medical expenses that follow a car accident. PIP (also known as no-fault insurance) helps to cover your medical expenses and other resulting expenses, including loss of essential services, loss of income, funeral expenses, and survivor’s loss. PIP coverage typically includes the policyholder and authorized drivers, as well as any passengers in the vehicle during the accident.

Medical Payment Coverage (MedPay) is a little different. While PIP will cover extra expenses outside of medical, MedPay is designed to just cover medical and funeral expenses. It can expand to include other situations besides a car accident, including injuries while riding a bike or walking as a pedestrian. MedPay also typically does not have a deductible and can help cover other expenses that insurance doesn’t, such as health insurance deductibles or copays.


We all know the feeling of hoping that a tree doesn’t fall on our car during a hurricane or that our car doesn’t get broken into, but comprehensive coverage can give you peace of mind. In case you find yourself in the middle of one of these scenarios, comprehensive insurance can help protect your car from theft, inclement weather damage, or vandalism.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

If you are hit by another driver that does not have insurance or is underinsured, having this additional policy can bridge the gap when it comes to the cost of repairing your car or medical expenses. With Florida’s uninsured rate at 34%, having this coverage can help protect one of your most valuable assets and you.

Do you need car insurance or want to check that you're getting the best rate? Contact a Mulling Insurance agent today!

Sources: Insure, Do you need PIP or MedPay Coverage?; NerdWallet Types of Car Insurance and What They Cover; FLHSMV, Florida Insurance Requirements

Recent Posts